Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Women and Weightlifting: I'm Getting My Sexy Fitness On


Hey everyone! Things have calmed down at work so I’m finally getting to post this entry on my regularly scheduled day, as per my agreement with Melissa. Plus, I’m deathly afraid of Melissa; so I know if I don’t post something, I’ll suffer the ramifications of her wrath.

One extremely important but random update for today? It is hot as balls in my office. It’s feeling like spring outside at a nice, warm 85 degrees; however, facilities refuse to turn on the AC in the building because they are afraid it may get cold again. My coworkers and I look like we just popped mollies and we sweatin!! I was really tempted to take a half day and stand in front of my freezer but alas, Whole Foods has a sale on boxes of mangoes for $7.99 each! So, I’m trekking outside to covet these goodies. I’m a happy girl J Update: I just went to Whole Foods and the mangoes were gone. Motherfucker.

Anyways, I wanted to approach the topic of exercise and gender roles at the gym. It’s been on my mind but an incident last week pushed me to finally write about it. It seems trouble is always looking for me…especially in the form of douchebags. I was at the gym one morning, getting my sexy fitness on with the squat rack when a guy approached me and said something along the lines of “you should lift some lighter dumbbells; the squats you’re doing are too heavy.” I thought about releasing my inner bitch but decided against it since it was so early in the morning. I opted to say, “I’m okay here at the squat rack. You can lift the dumbbells if you want but I’m fine where I’m at.” *Bitch stare* My sister knows what my bitch stare looks like and is probably laughing her ass off now. 

I mean what kind of bullshit is that?! When it comes to the gym, it is apparent how segregated it is and how gender roles impact physical fitness for both men and women. You have men who dominate the weight room, grunting and screaming, like a scene out of a horror film. You have women who take over the cardio machines, torturing themselves for hours (surprisingly, their makeup is still on. That’s suspect.) There is no intermingling between the two in the weight room. 

As an Asian American woman, I not only have to struggle with these gender roles but with people’s preconceived notions of me as an ethnic minority. I’m Asian so therefore, I have to be petite and skinny right? What am I doing with these heavy weights? I thought about what the guy had mentioned to me, and it just goes to show how prevalent these gender roles are, even in our everyday routines. That being said, I’m a huge proponent of strength training, especially HEAVY strength training. I think that women shouldn’t be afraid to confidently walk into the free weight area and push themselves. We’re not going to get big and buff like men because we do NOT have testosterone (and those who are freakishly ripped are probably on steroids by the way). Women can lift just like men and be strong and sexy.

Case in point:

 

I don’t want to bore you to death so I’ll leave it at that for today. In connection to this entry, I’m going to discuss my experience as an Asian American woman struggling with body image next week. Stay tuned!

-Diane

7 comments:

  1. Those guys are idiots and well behind the curve. Strength training is great for women and men alike and burns calories faster and more consistently than cardio. Light weights are a cop out and people (especially women) should get over the idea that heavy weights will make them "jacked." It takes a lifetime of supplements, training, and extreme workouts to get like that. People clearly underestimate what it takes to be muscular in that sense. As far as your Asian-ness, we expect you to be skilled in martial arts. Who cares if you are skinny or muscular. As long as you can wield a katana and do flying bicycle kicks.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more..except for the martial arts bit :) Although, I did make it to yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do as a teenager - what were my parents thinking?? I'm not certified as a personal trainer or anything like that, but from my experience and research, I tell my female friends that they SHOULD incorporate strength training into their exercise routine. Deadlifts and squats are the best power moves! Anyways, I'll get people on the bandwagon one at a time!

      -Diane

      Delete
  2. I'm your typical skinny (well, except for my gut a bit...hahaha) Asian dude. I did some light weights every now and then but nothing too harsh. It wasn't until my company moved our offices to downtown SF where I saw some benefits of weight / strength training. One of my guy friends (among a few others) work downtown and he had been going to the nearby 24 Hour Fitness to take "Body Pump" classes. It's weights with a lot of reps and minimal rest. I guess it's circuit training at the end of the day without the machines. :)

    It took me a while to get used to things. Even though I can only go once / twice a week, I feel a little better / stronger. I'm not more buff than when I started. :) So if you want to strength train, go on ahead.

    Those skinny / petite Asian girls are probably stronger than most guys realized. Time to pull a Bruce Lee on them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DCL - You should look at this site: http://stronglifts.com/

      You're welcome!! :)

      -Diane

      Delete
    2. Interesting Diane. Did you just send me to a site that is going to SPAM ME? :D Thanks though. Let me see if I can pump myself up....hahahah

      I went to my body pump class yesterday and my body combat class today. Man am I tired and sore. But it's good to get the sweat going. :)

      Delete
  3. I am also getting a hard strength training to get sexy fitness. Can you tell me about some precautions during my training, please? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I can advise is that you continue doing what you're doing because it's working.

    ReplyDelete

Have thoughts? Share them. We insist.