Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

The Importance of Black History Month

So today, as I was just starting off work and I login to Twitter, the first trending topic I see is #blackhistoryhoodfact. All I can think of is "Really??" I don't want to start off my morning punching somebody in the throat.

However, today marks the very first day of Black History Month!

Now, obviously I'm not black - well, I like to think that I am and many of my friends are convinced I am - but this month excites and energizes me. This is a month of celebration for the black community and an opportunity to bring awareness to the contributions and innovations this community has given to the world.

Now, some of you must be thinking, "Why the hell are you celebrating Black History Month?" As a woman of color, I think it's imperative to support other communities of color. Many of the civil rights movements that formed in the past were results of how the community wanted to take change into their own hands and bring to light the struggles they were facing. These movements were powerful because various communities of color came together and fought together. It didn't matter if you were black, Latino, Asian, these groups intersected because of a greater common cause. Without these fights, protests, marches, etc. we would not be living in a society that we are fortunate to be a part of now. Now, this isn't to say that everything is perfect - it is far from. Progress still needs to be made and fights still need to be fought. But we wouldn't have what we have today without the contributions, dedication, and fierceness of these activists.

So today, for the rest of this month, and hoping it continues, learn more about this history as well as your own community's history and take pride in the fact that you are who you are. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Happy Black History Month!

"Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

-Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts? Share them. We insist.